SHALE-X® is a water soluble organic material based on methyltrimethoxysilane. Designed to suppress shales and clays hydration process – both cuttings and wellbore wall. Forms a protective complex on the clay minerals, prevents water invasion into the shale matrix.
SHALE-X® is a water soluble organic material based on methyltrimethoxysilane. Designed to suppress shales and clays hydration process – both cuttings and wellbore wall.
SHALE-X® forms a protective water repellent complex on the clay particles, prevents water invasion into the shale matrix. Prevents clay wetting, dispersion and swelling.
Low-gravity solids build-up is 3-4 times lower compared to the conventional KCl/Polymer mud. Density as well as rheological properties remain stable for extended drilling period, even when PDC bits are used.
Field cases show: 2300 m open hole sections were drilled in shale formation with MBT=28 kg/m3 in the end of the section. Not a single m3 of mud was dumped.
- extraordinary shale inhibition at minimal product concentration
- minimum solids build-up
- outstanding wellbore stability
- stable density and rheological properties
- easy circulation break without pressure surge
- minimum mud dilution and mud volume needed
- thins mud rapidly at higher concentration – easy to use prior to cementing
- adds 20-30C to polymer temperature stability
2-3 kg/m3 (5-8 ppb). Can be added directly into the pit or through the mud hopper. Pilot testing is recommended.
Dark brown to black liquid
Please refer to the MSDS for specific instructions
SHALE-X® is packaged in 200l drums