BLACKTROL® is a liquid asphalt dispersion form blended with additives and surfactants. It is used as a borehole stabilizer and sealing agent to bridge the pores and micro-fractures and to create an effective barrier that prevents destabilizing pressure transmission into the shale.
BLACKTROL® is compatible with most water-based drilling fluids. Due to the liquid nature of the product, it disperses easily into the mud system, even if added in high concentrations.
· improves shale stability
· improves filter cake quality and decrease sticking tendencies
· bridges pores and micro-fractures, prevents pore pressure transmission
· helps in sealing depleted and permeable zones
· prevents fluids invasion into the shale matrix
· lowers API and HTHP fluid loss
· improves lubricity
· broad PSD for micro-fractures sealing
· high temperature stability
· low pour point – easy to use in cold climates
3-10 ppb (8.4-28 kg/m3). It is recommended to add BLACKTROL® to the active mud before penetrating troublesome shales. It can be added directly into the suction pit or through the mud hopper. Please refer to the product brochure for additional information.
Total well cost is normally lower due to the stable borehole. Less trips, less time spent on reaming and higher ROP due to higher lubricity and anti-accretion properties
Please refer to the MSDS for specific instructions
BLACKTROL® shale stabilizer is packaged in 55-gal (200l) drums